Thoughts from the evening:
-Bisping looked dominant in against an over matched, and easily gassed Mayhem Miller, but where does he go from here? Despite essentially being done after the first round, Bisping looked as pillow-fisted as ever as he struggled to put away an exhausted Miller, and when the stop finally came it once again looked to be more of a result of Mayhem simply having enough than any damage Bisping was doing to him. Bisping, will seem to always be just on the cusp of having the honor of being dispatched by Anderson Silva, but likely needs one more big victory to get that chance. It's MMAzing's best guess for who is next? Demian Maia.
- What happened Mayhem? First off, we understand the Palms is quite tiny, but you promised us an electric entrance. Though Calvin Harris produces some awesome beats, just clapping your hands made us feel kind of dumb for standing up in anticipation of what you were going to do. Dana White was no fan either apparently calling this fight one of the most one-sided fights he has ever seen. That is a bit of an exaggeration as that honor in reality belongs to the champ everyone in this division is trying to chase.
- Though it was a bad showing after another one-sided beat down in his initial UFC stint against GSP, Mayhem absolutely deserves another chance. Few non-UFC fighters were able to generate the buzz and fan interest that Mayhem could and still can. Though he is going to need to be handcuffed to a treadmill for the next couple of months, I hope for and look forward to many more fun fights and awesome entrances from Mayhem
- Diego Brandao is a beast. The mini axe murderer swings everything with bad intentions and aggression that would make even the Wanderlei of the PRIDE era blush. Though he has a suspect gas tank, and not the most technically sound striking, Brandao showed an amazing chin, not even flinching as Dennis Bermudez dropped bombs on his chin, and that killer instinct he used to end all of his fights up to the finale in coming back from the brink and breaking Bermudez's arm in a hail mary arm-bar from the guard.
- Somebody mix Tony Ferguson a walk-out track that starts with the audio quote "Where's your son at!" before the music kicks a la the "If you smelllll, what the Rock... is cookin!" of WWF/WWE fame. Awesome standing slug fest aside... that's all I hear in my head when I see this guy. Great fight against Yves though, I could have seen it go either way. The decision for Ferguson was in no way a robbery, but two judges scoring it a 30-27? I can think of a couple judging licenses that should be revoked immediately.
- Just about every fighter from this season will get another shot in the UFC. Because this was the first season of the lighter weight classes, the talent pool has not been mined dry, and not since the very first season of TUF will you see as many fighters become UFC mainstays as you will see from here. The small guys all showed great technical ability and knew how to put on a hell of a show.
- Oh and if you didn't already know, Marcus Brimage is pretty awesome. Go checkout his interview with Ariel Helwani already if you haven't, and if you have? Well that's why there is a replay button.
- Michael Bisping def. Jason "Mayhem" Miller via TKO (strikes) - Round 3, 3:34
- Diego Brandao def. Dennis Bermudez via submission (armbar) - Round 1, 4:51 - to win "TUF 14" featherweight tourney
- John Dodson def. T.J. Dillashaw via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 1:54 - to win "TUF 14" bantamweight tourney
- Tony Ferguson def. Yves Edwards via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Johnny Bedford def. Louis Gaudinot via TKO (strikes) - Round 3, 1:58
- Marcus Brimage def. Stephen Bass via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- John Albert def. Dustin Pague via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 1:09
- Roland Delorme def. Josh Ferguson via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 3, 0:22
- Steven Siler def. Josh Clopton via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bryan Caraway def. Dustin Neace via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 2, 3:38
- John Dodson - Knockout of the night
- Diego Brandao -Submission of the night
- Diego Brandao vs Dennis Bermudez - Fight of the night
Post a Comment